Kovakka is popular in most part of Kerala, Tamilnadu, Karnataka and other states in India. The botanical name of Kovakka is Coccinia Indica. It's medicinal properties has been published in many journals. It's known to reduce the blood sugar levels.
In this post, I'm giving a simple recepie to make kovakka stir fry. In 10 min of cooking time, you can easily prepare this vegetable dish for your family.
- Kovakka/ivy guard - 250gm
- Green chili slit lengthwise - 3-4
- Garlic chopped - 2 cloves
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Curry leaves - 7-8
- Small onion chopped - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds
- Red Chilly 1
- Salt to taste
How to Prepare Kovakka Mezhukkuparattyiathu ( Stir fry)
- Slice the ivy gourd/Kovakka/Kovakkai into thin long slices. (Cut length wise)
- Slice onion length wise
- Mix kovakka, green chili, garlic, and turmeric powder and salt
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add mustard seeds.
- Add chopped onion ,chilly and curry leaves, stir for a minute .
- Add the mix and stir well.
- Add one table spoon of water
- Cook in slow flame for 5mts, or till it becomes dry.
- Remove the cover and and stir for another 4 minutes.
- Now you can remove from the stove and serve warm
This Kovakka recipe includes the preparation as done by keralites.