Today (March 11th 2014) being my brothers birthday made this aged old Bread pudding. My grand mom used to make this during our childhood, she used to make this in the cooker. My bro loves this pudding.
So here we go with the recipe to make this yummy bread pudding.
- 8 - 10 cups of bread cubes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 large peeled and cored apple, diced
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 Nuts (cashew, almonds etc)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 1 /2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees and place rack in center of oven.
- Lightly grease with butter, place the baking dish into a larger roasting pan that has enough room around its sides to fill with water.
- Place the bread cubes and fruit in the baking dish.
How to prepare the Custard:
- In an electric mixer beat the eggs and sugar on high speed until thick and lemon colored (about 4-5 minutes)
- Beat in the vanilla extract and ground cinnamon.
- Then beat in the melted and cooled butter and milk
How to Assemble:
- Carefully pour the prepared custard over the bread cubes until completely covered.
- Press down the bread cubes so they are covered with the custard.
- Prepare a water bath. Carefully pour in enough hot water so that the water is halfway up sides of the baking pan.
- Bake about1 hour or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the bread pudding from the water bath and cool slightly before serving.
- Can be served warm or cold with a dusting of confectioners' sugar and a dollop of softly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Serves about 8 - 10 people